Dinnington Community Primary School



Special Educational Needs and Disability

Children are judged to have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty that requires special provision to be made for them that is, additional to or different from, the provision made for other children of the same age.

In line with the Code of Practice, children with Special Educational Needs are identified at our school at the earliest opportunity. The school has a Family and Inclusion Team who have responsibility for SEND and inclusion. 

Our Family and Inclusion Team are:

Mrs T Marshall - Inclusion Leader

Mr S Phillips - SENDCo

Mr J Storer - Assistant SENDCo

Parents are consulted and involved in all stages of the process and invited to attend regular review meetings. Copies of the review documents, Support Plans and Education Health Care Plans (EHCs) are provided for parents .

The school has close links with a number of external support agencies. Learning Support and Educational Psychologists provide advice and guidance to meet the specific needs of all children. 

If your child has an ailment or a disability which may require specialist care please inform the class teacher as it may be possible to make a referral or request for extra support through the school. In addition, the School Health Service offers a service in and through the school to help with the health and well-being of your child. The nurse from the School Health Service visits school regularly, holds parent drop-in sessions and is quite happy to talk with you about any concerns you may have about your child.

Dinnington Community Primary School is an inclusive school and believes that all pupils and their families have the right to equal access, equal opportunity and equal benefit from participation in every area and aspect of school life. 

We actively work with parents to meet their children’s needs and we provide many resources to support this work.


Identifying children with SEND - How do we know if children have Special Educational Needs?

It is important to recognise that children start school with varied experiences and usually need a little time to settle in and engage with new learning opportunities.


Many children with complex needs have these identified very early.  Parents and carers may have already noticed that their child struggles in certain areas.  For other children difficulties may only become evident as they grow and develop, and as they learn and interact in new and different environments.


The school regularly assesses all children and this will identify children that are making less than expected progress.


Children will be identified as needing extra support if, despite high quality teaching, their progress is;

  • Significantly slower than that of other children of a similar age
  • Failing to match or better the child’s rate of progress
  • Failing to close the attainment gap between the child and their peers
  • Widening the attainment gap


The teaching staff and SENDCo will monitor the pupil closely and make observations which will also include discussions with parents, with clear review points. 


Who do I speak to? - Who are the best people to talk to if I think my child may have specific/additional learning needs?

The first person to speak to if you have any concerns about your child is the class teacher.  The class teacher knows your child better than any other adult in school and is always willing to listen to any concerns which you may have.


The Class Teacher will also raise any concerns they have with you about your child’s development.  This might be through our regular parent meeting days or before or after the school day.  We prefer this discussion to be in person however, we are aware that parents are not always able to pick up and drop off at school, so we may send a letter or message home. 


Where appropriate the concern may then be shared with our Family and Inclusion Team Further discussions may then take place between all relevant parties to determine the best way forward for your child.


For further support then the Rotherham Parent Partnership can be contacted. They provide parents with confidential, impartial advice and information on special educational needs from staff and trained volunteers.  Their contact telephone number is 01709 823627.


Medical Needs

How will my child's medical needs be met?

  • If a pupil has a medical need then a Care Plan is compiled with support from parents and in consultation with medical practitioners where appropriate.  These are shared with all staff who work with the pupil.
  • Specific members of staff have basic first aid training.  
  • We also have staff who have Paediatric First Aid Training in line with national requirements.
  • Epipen and Diabetes training is undertaken by the relevant staff.
  • Where a child has specific medical needs additional staff training with be arranged in consultation with the relevant professional.


Please access the policies below for more information about SEND at Dinnington Community Primary School, or contact Mr Phillips, our SENDCo through our Main Office on 01909 550034.