Free School Meals
INFANT SCHOOL MEALS
There is a statutory requirement for schools in England to provide school meals to all pupils in FS2, Year 1 and Year 2. We are referring to these as the Infant School Meals as they are different to free school meals. Please note that although children will receive the Infant School Meal, you are still required to pay for milk.
Whilst all pupils in these year groups will be provided with a daily infant school meal, it is important that, if you think you are eligible to receive a free school meal, you continue to apply to Rotherham Local Authority.
This is especially important as the extra funding we receive, called Pupil Premium, is dictated by the number of Free School Meal registrations we have! This money is important to us to provide a world class curriculum, extra teachers and interventions we give your children which mean they progress quicker in our school
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR FREE SCHOOL MEALS?
Your child is eligible for Free School Meals if you get one or more of the following benefits:
Your child might be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Your child might also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both:
younger than the compulsory age for starting school
in full-time education